Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Not Fair

I remember the first time I thought, "I could marry that guy."

My then-future husband and I had been dating for a couple of weeks at the time; I had really liked his fun personality, sharp wit, and good looks, but I had definitely gone into the relationship thinking that it was going to be a fleeting thing.  After all, I was due to leave on a mission in four months and he was planning on moving after the semester ended.

However, as a friend of mine (who was admittedly a little odd) approached me and asked me if I would ask my boyfriend to give her a Priesthood blessing, I watched my boyfriend's reaction as she asked him.  He was gentle and kind, despite her rather bizarre antics, and graciously agreed to find someone else to help him give her a blessing.

The blessing was beautiful--he blessed her with health, comfort, and a host of other very personal things that I'm sure were quite a strength to her.  And that was when I realized--I could marry this guy.  He is something special.

My relationship with God has always been a priority for me in my life, and so when I think about it, it should come as no surprise that the first time I was willing to commit to my future husband was when I saw him in such a spiritually powerful way.

As I left on my mission and read the letters he wrote to me, I was even more attracted to that side of him as he sent me letters that described temple attendance, service in the church, and scripture study--all in a humble, matter-of-fact way that alone bore testimony of simple but powerful habits cultivated over a long period of time.

Once I got home from my mission, we were engaged and married shortly afterwards, and from the first, I was surprised to see that his spiritual habits were nothing like what I'd expected them to be.  We'd sit in bed for hours at night together, me wanting and hoping for him to lead us in couples prayer before we fell asleep, and him knowing that I wanted him to lead out and stubbornly refusing to do it--this awful, silent, passive-aggressive struggle.  Every single night, after waiting uncomfortably and stalling for hours at a time, I would end up being the one to give in and ask if he wanted to pray.  To his credit, he always said yes, but it was rare, if ever, that he brought it up on his own.

This one particular example seemed to be his attitude towards a lot of spiritual things throughout our marriage; if I wanted something church-oriented or spiritual to happen in our family, I either had to remind/ask him about it, or it didn't happen, whether it be home teaching, scripture study, Family Home Evenings, or temple attendance.

This is not fair.  It's not what I signed up for--the very thing that made me most attracted to my husband was his spirituality, and to see him now, sleeping through church and forgetting or not caring about the majority of his church service--it makes me terrified, actually.  Why would someone so strong choose to change so much?

My mom often talks about "campaign promises," you know, someone's behavior before marriage becoming something completely different after the rings are on, but I don't think he was faking it when he married me.  I genuinely think he had a strong, close relationship with his Heavenly Father at the time; and to hear the stories he tells from his mission, I know he has had a testimony in the past.  And I think he still has remnants of a testimony--when I asked him about it in tears a week ago, telling him of my deepest fears that we had different priorities and were going in different directions, he insisted he knew the truth--of God's reality and the power of the Atonement.  Once in a while he'll volunteer a story about following the Spirit, but those stories are few and far between.  And it's been years since I've heard him bear testimony without being prompted.

I know I sound judgmental.  I probably also sound immature and hypercritical, which I guess I am.  It's true that I shouldn't pass judgment on my husband's spirituality; a person's relationship with God isn't something that can be accurately determined from outside actions, no matter how closely watched.

It's just hard to believe that my husband is putting God first when I don't see much evidence in his life, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that you're being judgmental or immature...you are being HUMAN. Your fears are valid.

    My husband and I have conversed on this topic as well.

    I didn't grow up in a home where my father lead out spiritually. My mom did it all on her own. (she still does) My dad wasn't inactive physically...but I feel like he was in every other way. He went to church and all but family prayer happened because of my mom, if we read scriptures or had fhe, it was because of my mom. At this moment, I can't recall ever having a spiritual or gospel oriented conversation with my dad. For whatever reason...I don't know.?

    Out of 5 kids, I am currently the only one going to church and trying to live the gospel. I have seen first hand where not having a father as the spiritual leader can lead to. I don't want that!

    I am also very aware that my husband wasn't worthy to have the Holy Ghost as his companion from the time he was 12ish until he was 33 (when he first confessed his sexual sin to a bishop, after being caught by me) I was the spiritual leader of the home without knowing it. He deferred to me (almost subconsciously) because he figured I'd know better on spiritual matters. All the good gospel living habits we established for our family were established by me. He couldn't do it because he couldn't feel the Spirit.
    Even now, almost 4 years into recovery I find myself longing for more from him spiritually. Things have improved a lot. It helps me to remember that because of his addiction halting his mental, emotional and spiritual maturity, he's really only about a 16 year old now as far as that goes. I don't know many 16 year olds who would be able to lead out as the spiritual leader of a family. Problem is, my "16 year old" has a wife and kids! lol!

    You're right. It does not seem fair.

    This addiction stuff is messy. But we don't have to clean up our husbands crap...we have our own to take care of.

    ReplyDelete